trying something new?

06 August 2007

A Day In the Life

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out all fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
[1 John 4:18]

This verse was on Amy's facebook the other day and it caught my brain for a few seconds into a whirlwind of thoughts. First I thought about what I usually thought about when I read or hear this verse, "perfect love casts out all fear," Christ's love is perfect, therefore he casts away all fear and it normally stops there (wow, it really shouldn't, should it?) But as I began my usual utterly stupid, random, all that I'm saying is "I love you" in a different way comment, the verse didn't leave the premises of my mind. Then I began thinking of how I strive for perfection, to be Christ-like, and fail, knowing I will fail. Next, of how I have nothing, nothing to fear because Christ has taken care of all my fears and will continue to take all my fears and how they exist no more because His Love covers them. But then my real joy in the verse came into my heart, seriously flooding my mind with radiance and happiness. It's at the very end of the verse, "and the one who fears is not perfected in love,". We have nothing to fear! We can be perfected in love! How grand is that?

5 comments:

mel_bun said...

very beautiful thoughts Leah.

Charity said...

I love that verse. I have a t-shirt that says "LOVE, my anti-fear" with that verse beside.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts on it!

Mariaj said...

Leah, you are a remarkable person!
Great insite on that verse, really, that was a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Charity said...

Love you.

me, myself, and I said...

Mel_Bun--That verse is grander than ever before for me...LIKE YOU!

Charity--I've seen that shirt! It's a grand thing to have an anti-fear, is it not? Love you too.

Maria--(!) Whoa! "remarkable" is quite a strong word...I can't accept it. I'm too weak. :-P

To All It May Concern:
This is now weeks later and now after my last, "post" (aggg, it's not worthy of the title 'post'. how about, 'my last sputtering'...) so you probably won't see my replies, BUT I DID MAKE THEM!!! :-P