trying something new?

13 April 2008

Matthew 10:42

check it out: http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1132_give_the_little_ones_clean_water/








1.1 billion people don’t have access to safe, clean drinking water. That’s 1 in 6 people alive today.
Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation causes 80% of all sickness and disease, and kills more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Many people in the developing world, usually women and children, walk more than three hours every day to fetch water that is likely to make them sick. (source)
Jesus said, “Whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward” (Matt. 10:42). These folks don’t have clean water, much less cold water.
What can we do? Going overseas and personally handing out cups of clean water is not practical for most of us. It’s also not very efficient compared with digging wells and teaching sanitation and ecological techniques. But one thing we can all do is give a $20 bottle of charity:
Charity:water is a non-profit initiative bringing clean water and basic sanitation into impoverished communities. Since [Charity:water] was founded and began activity in August 2006, we have funded the construction of more than 250 wells that, when completed, will provide clean drinking water to 150,000 people.
A $20 bottle of charity water can give a person in Africa clean, safe drinking water for 20 years. 100% goes to direct project costs.
That’s certainly worth $20 to me.

-Desiring God Blog Post by Josh Sowin on March 24, 2008

4 comments:

ben j. said...

Old Self: pshh. we have no money for that sort of thing.

2nd Self: pshh. two drinks and a couple bags of beef jerky, or 20 years of life to someone.

Old Self: i hate you

2nd Self: i hate you too.

-----------

I've actually set a plan to give to charity:Water. I too heard of it from DesiringGod and immediately wanted to give. Sounds GRAND to me! Great post.

aswine said...

And hey, while you're at it...
http://freerice.com

Thanks for sharing that. This stuff has been making me think about what I'm going to do over the next several decades.

Rya said...

That is so sad!!! I can't imagine!!!!

Tis quite amazing how much just $20 can do!

Love you Leah, you are a dear girl and thanks for posting that!!!

Have a great day!!!

Me, Myself, and I said...

I know...ergh. Those were totally my thoughts. It's insane how fast $20 goes here in America and how much more it can do somewhere else...I’ve been thinking a lot lately how we are to be good stewards and I realize how much I’m not one…

No problem. I'm really good at copying and pasting other peoples work ;^) But yes, it's given me ideas as well. Like I said, it's so easy to spend $20 here, but lately I've just been really thinking about stewardship and this post just really confirms my hate for my stupid shallowness.

I know Rya! It's so insane! I was just reading in my Bible about how we will be held accountable for every careless word spoken and I was thinking about careless spending as well...Love you too! And YOU are far dearer! Enjoy this gorgeous weather! I'm leaving this horrid computer and going to sit outside for awhile...