trying something new?

31 May 2008

While the sounds of Switchfoot and smells of pancakes fill the house...

I withdrew to my usual place of retirement in great peace and tranquility; spent about two hours in secret duties and felt much as I did yesterday morning, only weaker and more overcome. I seemed to depend wholly upon my dear Lord, wholly weaned from all other dependences. I knew not what to sat to my God, but only to lean on His bosom, as it were, and breathe out my desires after a perfect conformity to Him in all things. Thirsty desires and insatiable longings possessed my soul after perfect holiness. God was so precious to my soul that the world with all its enjoyments was infinitely vile. I had no more value for all the favor of men than pebbles. The Lord was my ALL; and that He overruled all greatly delighted me. I think my faith and dependence upon God scarce ever rose to high. I saw Him such a fountain of goodness that it seemed impossible I should distrust Him again, or be any way anxious about anything that should happen to me. [David Brainerd, April 28th, 1742]

The Silence and Solitude chapter of Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life is amazing! Of course, every chapter I start reading I think is pretty much amazing. But this one, for some odd reason (hmmm, is it really that odd? :^P), is more amazing than usual...

No comments: